The Pingala energy on the right side of the body is the sun energy. It is active, masculine, and hot physical energy. The Pingala energy increases the Pranic energy that revitalizes the body.
1) Sit in a comfortable pose. Elongate your spine. Eyes closed
2) Right hand – bend index finger and middle finger, press them into the palm of your hand, extend the thumb, using ring finger and pinky close the left nostril. Left hand – Drona Mudra (palm facing down on your left knee)
3) With a long, slow, deep breath, gently inhale only through your right nostril using count of four.
4) Follow with a long, slow, complete exhalation through the right nostril using count of 6 - 8.
5) Begin to notice new supply of oxygen in your body and removal of carbon dioxide from your body.
6) Imagine that your blood is being purified of toxins. Experience and be mindful of your energy level rising.
7) Repeat the cycle of inhaling and exhaling for a total of eight times. For beginners, start with 1 minute. You can eventually increase up to 31 minutes.
- Increase the body temperature, helps removes the Kafa (mucus) imbalance.
- Regular practice - used for weight loss
- Prana increases in the body, increases the vitality
- Fights depression, low energy
- Effective for stress management
Should be done in class under a guidance of a teacher or experienced yoga students only
Do not force your breathing. Do not over do. Anyone who had recent surgeries including brain, heart, abdominal, etc. make sure to consult your doctor first.
Namaste -- Cathi